Sunday, December 13, 2009

Velodrome field trip

Unloading: The mascot: Riding the Coté d'Azur: The crew: WOW. What a great experience. Lately, the extent of my "outdoor" riding has been limited by my desire for self preservation. I admit it, I am a fair weather rider. That said, I hooked up with some buddies and made the hike across from Port Huron, Michigan over to London, Ontario to check out the indoor Forest City Velodrome. It was a cold, sunny morning and as fate would have it we arrived to discover the boiler was broken and it was actually colder inside the arena. Freakin' bloody hell, my teeth were clattering and I was shaking uncontrollably while we were receiving some basic instruction. I borrowed a neoprene jacket, selected a nice loaner track bike and began the ride. Being completely out of your element can be refreshing. I was totally geeking out with the fixie set up and my general bike handling skills were sketchy at best. Below is a noob drill moving off the Coté d'Azur onto the black line and back down.


After a few laps it started to click. Our group was limited by many recreational riders which prevented us from moving up high on the track. Regardless, we were given some lap time which literally flew by and after 3 hours we were done. Flippin' awesome experience. I'm hooked!


The malted reward:

No comments: