Friday, December 4, 2009

Is there a difference between being cheap and being thrifty?


The Frugal Cyclist

Like the site linked above I consider myself pretty frugal when it comes to bikes and bike components. I have no other choice. I'm cash strapped and my cycling "needs" take a back seat to more important family matters. Simply put, my family doesn't understand my need for XTR, titanium frames or carbon anything. It's truly sad but I have learned to go with it. That is why I use the crap out of everything I own. When something breaks I fix it or send it back to the manufacture to replace. I'm too "thrifty" to use it as an excuse to upgrade to the flavor of the day. Sad but true.

About a month ago the left Tiagra duel control shifter on the CX siezed up and the rachet mechanism broke. I wanted to wait until I was ass deep in snow before sending it back to Shimano USA. I was content to use the small ring and ride my rig as a 9 speed for the remainder of the cross season but then a couple of days ago the right shifter cable broke and the cable barrel fell inside the shifter mechanism rendering the shifter inoperable. Crap. So I box up the shifters and send them off to Shimano to hopefully have them replaced in time for the Spring thaw. In the meantime I needed to get this bike up and running. The weather here in Michigan has been decent (for December) and I didn't want to wait too long for Shimano to do their thing. I located a right shifter that I had boxed up and forgotten about and mounted it up. I needed a break lever for the front brake and decided to set up the in-line lever that originally came with the bike. Good to go!
Did I say I was cheap?

1 comment:

Small Adventures said...

Not cheap,Bro,intellegent. Frugal ain't so bad anyways...I personally dig inexpensive things that work,and have enjoyed Redlines ever since I discovered this...my '02 Monocog is my road bike I'm so frugal,LOL!

Good post :)

Steve