Thursday, April 17, 2008

My first Single Speed/29'er ride



Today was a perfect Spring day to get out to some singletrack before work. I had a loaner SS from the shop because my new SS is still on the boat from Taiwan (long story). Anyhoo, I went out to the nearest park, Maybury State Park near Northville, MI. This park is located on the site of a former Sanitarium where they housed patients with TB and other assorted conditions back in the day. It's a short trail (6.5) miles of tight singletrack with very little elevation gain. Perfect for a singlespeed. My first lap was plagued with interuptions. Once I had dialed in the tire pressure, the chain kept falling off. Once I tightened down the chain tensioner all was well. The Kenda Nevegal 2.20 tires were awesome and rolled well considering their tread pattern resembles a tractor tire. The 29" wheel size had a noticable impact on suspension and the fully rigid aluminum frame was responsive as well as forgiving. The 33X18 gearing was perfect for this trail. I noticed the sensation of standing while pedaling seemed more natural than while riding a geared bike. The wide handlebars felt great while pulling my way to the top of the climbs. I think I'm going to enjoy this new phase of riding. Here is a shot of the loaner bike as well as a vintage shot of the Sanitarium.

2 comments:

Ali B. said...

Go CRAIG! I have been riding my ss a lot lately & it's absolute bliss not having to consider a gear shift. :) I also LOVE the photo... reminds me of the Traverse City State Hospita aka Northern Michigan Asylum

http://www.traversecitystatehospital.com/

Unknown said...

It's great to be the latest member of the Single speed nation. Less gears, more beers!