Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Dirt road dynamics

Today I went down hard for the first time all year. I was at the end of a long ride and I was riding a frozen, iced over dirt road. I lost contact with the crown of the road and slid out toward the ditch. Typically, the roads around here are in good shape and seldom present a hazard. I've had plenty of time in the saddle to analyze my crash and the current state of the road conditions in my neck of the woods.

Dirt roads are build to drain surface water and usually include a raised crown running down the center. See diagram below.

Dirt road cross section (click image to enlarge):


Ford Road (note the crown):


My nemesis, the road grader:


Aarghh!!


So what does all this mean? In the summer the crown is usually the hardest and fastest surface to be found on a dirt road. If you drop down towards the edge you run the risk of plowing through loose gravel and random potholes lurking to eat up your wheel.
In the winter, riding the crown is fine (as long as it is wide) but when it is contoured or elevated with frozen snow or ice, it can be a challenge. If the crown is too narrow, you can run the risk of sliding off and down toward the edge of the road. The icy conditions tend to accentuate the slope. I tend to keep looking ahead and assessing the best line to take. High or low? I watch for brown sections of exposed road that may provide better traction. I also consider that yesterday's thaw may result in today's slick conditions. Check the air pressure in your tires and go low to maximize the best possible grip. Also, when riding on smooth ice make subtle movements by shifting your weight on the saddle to steer and apply smooth even pressure on the pedals whenever possible. Stay centered and be ready to put a foot down if necessary. Yeah, yeah, I know that studs would work fine but I don't have any and I like to think that this balancing act is helping my core and bike handling skills.

That is all. Now get out and ride!

No comments: