Thursday, December 23, 2010

2010 Mileage...



Today's ride took my annual mileage over the 65K mark. WOOT! My mileage goal this year was 5500 and I am pleased with the results. This is an accomplishment for me and it leads me toward a great deal of introspection regarding the year and what I was trying to accomplish.
For me it was all about spending time riding versus NOT riding at all. I work evenings and feel it necessary to get outside in the AM and ride instead of the dreadful alternative of plopping down on the couch to watch Oprah. I fell into a routine that took me back to my days as a ski bum. Work nights and play in the day. During the week I would ride from my front door for 2-3 hours before work on a vast network of paved and dirt roads north of Ann Arbor, MI. I would choose the cross bike, mountain bike or road bike based on the current road conditions. I would also try to watch the extended forecast and map out rest days around the crappy weather. I looked forward to a few rainy mornings where it was possible to get "other" necessities of life accomplished. During the weekend I would either race or ride as much singletrack as possible.
This is the program that worked for me. It may not work for others but it is the routine that I enjoyed. Riding is riding.
Rant on. Some folks (thank you MMBA Forum) think that if these miles are not specifically "trail miles" then they should be weighted less. As if trail miles rule supreme and anything less is unworthy. This logic is shot down by folks like Robert Herriman and SIMONSTER who rack up countless miles over the season and still kick ass in the Elite level races. These "trails only" haters are the same folks who drive to Island Lake every day to do countless laps on one of the easiest trails in Michigan. I equate that logic to an Expert skier skiing green runs all day. It may be fun every now and then but...
I won't get into the endless road versus mountain debates here. Hell, I'm not even going to get started on the recumbent miles debate!
Rant off.
Some may feel that quality miles are more important than quantity miles. True, it all boils down to what makes you a better rider and keeps you coming back for more. For me, it was about getting out, exploring and staying fit. I'm happy to report that it was a stellar year for me.

2 comments:

Wojtek said...

Woot? What is woot meaning?

Unknown said...

From Urban Dictionary:
1) An interjection similar to "YAYE!" or "Woohoo!" used to express joy or excitement, usually about some kind of accomplishment. Primarily used by gamers, spreading rapidly to anyone who chats online

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=woot