Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tour of Kensington Valley May 16, 2009



I truly enjoy riding my road bike but and I have considered entering a road race for several years, but I never took the plunge. I don't think I'm really suited for Crits and Time Trials and may prefer the format of the road race. Kensington Metro park is just North of me and with all the rain we've had lately, a road race may be a great change from all the mud I've been eating lately. This will be my first real road race and I have to enter it as a beginner or Cat 5. I hope this goes well because I really think I want to do more races like it. More later...

UPDATE: What a rush! The Cat 5 group had about 50 entrants. The 8.5 mile loops were hilly and fast. The first lap was very fast and I got spit out of the main pack about halfway around. I soon found myself somewhere in no-mans land between the lead group and a chasing group behind me. I hooked up with several riders including teammate Mark Bugnell (Bugs) and we rode well together, exchanging pulls as we sought other riders to share the work. The course was a blast. On the last lap I felt my left calf starting to cramp. While I tried to work out the cramp I lost contact with my group and worked hard to keep them in sight. I finished strong and I now have a new found respect for road racing. What a great group of riders!
RESULTS:
Adam and Bugs:

Hummus and Tabbouleh at the team compound:

Finish line image (to capture photo finishes). Notice how the spokes are distorted.
Cat 1-2 winner Derek Graham (Bissell/ABG) outsprints Paul Martin (Panther/RGF) in the 2009 Tour of Kensington Valley (ToKV).

No comments: