Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and riding bicycles

When I was in 5Th grade I was out of control. I was a constant disruption to the class in a time when there was no medical name for my condition. I'm surprised Mrs. Mervis didn't throttle me in front of the class, although I'm sure she wanted to. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD runs in my family. I've been distracted and anxious for as long as I can remember. If I were painting a wall I would start somewhere in the middle, get distracted and then wander off to start another project. Now that I'm older I have learned to recognize my symptoms and take steps to organize my thoughts. Routine helps me a great deal. While on a 3 hour ride it dawned on me that although my mind is racing through a thousand thoughts, I am only able to do one task (ride) from start to finish. It is a continuous process. Maybe that is why I love cycling so much and it might explain why spinning in my living room is so difficult. I wonder if other people like me feel the same way?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Same here. I don't like the trainer due to there being to many other things for my attention... like the computer. It all being in the same room does not help.