Monday, April 18, 2011

What's going on?

It has been a while since the last update. The weather in Michigan has SLOWLY been more Spring-like and the rides have been getting better.

A week ago I took a digger. I wish I could say it occurred during some epic battle out on the trail or road. Nope, it happened while riding a flat, dirt road here in Washtenaw County. I was cruising at 20 + mph with a strong tailwind and I must have also been daydreaming because I never saw the pothole that waited for me. It went something like this: pothole, handlebar twist, right hand slipping off the hood, front wheel sideways, sliding on road along the left hip, thunking head/helmet on road hard. Denial. WTH!
Regardless, my bike and I survived. I did come across this product while tending to my wounds. Pro riders have been using these tube bandages for years years and I'm happy to find these now on the store shelves. I recall using mini-pads and nylons back in the day! The Telfa non-stick pads also work very well.
Curad Hold Tite:


Sadly, the Ragin' Raisin race that was schedule for April 16 was canceled. I hope to see it on the calendar next year.
Ragin' website:



The Michigan MTB season kicked off Sunday, April 17th with the Yankee Springs Time Trial. Hats off to the WMMBA chapter for pulling off another well organized event. This event always reminds me of how it felt at the first day of school. Everybody checking out everybody. Congratulations to my teammates who had a strong showing in several categories. Even the tandem class!
Yankee Springs TT website:
2011 RESULTS:

Michigan was also well represented at the 18th running of the Paris-Ancaster race in Ontario, Canada. Clint Verran (Paint Creek Bicycles)and Mike Simonson (RBS/TREK/NOTUBES)placed in the top 20. Rich Stark (Two Wheel Tango) won the Singlespeed class. Great work all!
Mike's race report:
RESULTS:



While all this heated action was taking place I had a date with my bride which included a trip down to Slows Bar-B-Q located in the heart of Detroit by the old Tiger stadium. Absolutely fantastic food and beer selection. It's all about choices...
SLOWS Bar-B-Q:


Today it is snowing. It was a good day to work on some things and I decided to mess around with the helmet cam on the singlespeed. Be advised, this video is 3+ minutes of boredom although it gave me a hub-high perspective that should be pretty cool on the singletrack. Hopefully the trails will dry out soon from this latest round of moisture. In the meantime the roads are in great shape for riding.
Fork cam video:

No comments: