Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Some assemby required...


The Spring weather lately has been marginal at best. What better way to spend a cold, rainy day then to build up a new bike. I've discovered that next to actually riding bicycles, building them is pretty damn satisfying. This is not one of those pimped out builds that ends up at the NAHBS or displayed on the roof rack of some rich dudes Lexus. I was looking to build up a race worthy rig at a modest price. Middle of the road, that's how I wagonwheel.

I enjoy the hell out of my 29'er rigid singlespeed and I was looking for a similar ride, except with gears. I opted for a 2x10 drivetrain and a White Brothers carbon fork which I felt was a good fit for the trails here in Michigan.

I started off with a sweet looking 7005 aluminum Niner EMD frame. No scandium or carbon fiber here.


Daniel built up some sweet wheels for me. The silver & black spoke combination with the red and black nipples looks great.


Here are the specs for the tech/weight weenies out there:
Sram x9 6 bolt 135mm QR disc hub rear hub, Sram x9 6 Bolt 9mm QR disc front hub-32h w/No Tubes ZTR Crest rims 29" w/ half black Wheelsmith DB14 spokes, half silver Wheelsmith DB14 spokes , and Wheelsmith black alloy nipples and red alloy nipples-Model Year-2011-Manufactures listed weight=N/A-Actual Weight=Front-767 grams, Rear-982 grams, total weight 1749 grams-Date weighed-04/04/11

*Weight does not include rim strips and valves

After about 5 hours of assembly I now have my dream bike. The drive train components are primarily SRAM X7 and the cockpit is Truvativ Stylo. This will be my first non-Shimano component bicycle of recent times. I have finally made the jump to tubeless tires and hydraulic brakes which will require some new maintenance skills for me. Fan-freaking-tastic!
Now the wait begins until the singletrack dries up.




NinerEMDolicious photos:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice bike Craig, can't wait to help you try it out. I think we need to make a sacrifice to Mother Nature. Suggestions?

BellRinger

Unknown said...

Thanks Mike. I don't know any virgins who can help us out so I guess we'll have to wait out this crappy weather. Soon...