Saturday, November 27, 2010

The weather outside is frightful...

...but it's nothing like it's going to be in February.



It's 28 degrees outside. Overcast. Light winds. Perfect day for a ride.

With this in mind I have continued my protest of NOT riding that fracking trainer until it's absolutely necessary. Conditions have become generally "harsh" lately although the ground is still clear and it's possible to continue with the outdoor rides. That being said I have noticed several things as the season draws to a close. Primarily, the effort to knock out some miles has increased. Rides that took place in the heat of summer are taking a lot more effort now. My overall average speed is dropping. This could be the result of several things such as fatigue, cold muscles or just being slow as hell. Easily, it now takes me an additional 30+ minutes to prepare for my ride. I check the weather feeds for temperature, wind speed and direction. I utilize multiple thin layers and my choices have worked fine but I still feel like I'm hauling an extra 5-10 pounds wrapped around my body. I'll take it. It still beats spinning indoors and I will keep going until the snow gets too deep.

No comments: