Monday, June 2, 2008

Hanson Hills XC

Start: Got my game face on putting the psych to the competition.

Sunday, June 1 was an exceptional day for cross country racing. This was stop #3 of the MMBA Championship Points Series (CPS). The venue was the Hanson Hills Ski area in Grayling, MI. Hanson Hills is one of many mom & pop ski areas around the state that offer relief from the modern day resorts. Most of these areas feature great singletrack and Hanson Hills always delivers a great ride. The trail has been expanded to a 10 mile loop through fern covered forest with lots of up's and downs and maintaining momentum is essential. The start was fast and I was spinning out on the 2 track while the lead group left me in the dust heading into the singletrack. There was only one rider left behind me and I was stuck behind an Expert dude(Jeff Socia) who had just finished his geared race and needed some additional abuse riding singlespeed. His gearing resembled a Track bike and I could not get around him while he struggled to get up the first series of climbs. I finally got around him when he overshot a turn and I started to pick up my pace. The group in front of me was long gone. Eventually, I passed a few more riders and came up on fellow Greyhound, Jeff Wittbrodt halfway on lap 1. I found it was great to have a teammate out there with me and we continued to exchange leads and push the pace for the remainder of lap 1. I kept hydrating, took in 1 gel and my legs felt very good. On lap 2 Jeff dropped back and I rode alone waiting for either himself or a pack of Sport riders to overtake me. This helped motivate me as I kept the pace high and pushed right to the end. The 29 wheels and rigid setup worked well for me. The wheels flattened out a lot of the small bumps. My gearing (32X18) sucked on the 2 track but allowed me to ride the hills and maintain a good speed in the singletrack. I finished with a time of 1:37:ish and placed 4th in my class.
Finish: Glen, Di-Bear and myself hamming it up with our swag bandanas.

5 comments:

Di said...

Craig -

It was great meeting you at Hanson! I swiped the bandana picture from your blog. I've been waiting to get that all week! Happy trails!

Unknown said...

Swipe away Di. It was great meeting you too. Much fun to be had. Take care.

Glen R said...

Fantastic event and a awesome time getting to hang out with everyone. See you all at Boyne!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great race and a great time! The big trip out west looked like quite an adventure and the good thing about the Iron Horse getting cancelled was that it's built in motivation for next year...

Unknown said...

Roger that, Brian! I am highly motivated to do that ride from Durango to Silverton in my lifetime. The sooner the better...