Monday, June 23, 2008

Dr. TK Lawless Time Trial

There is a park and trail located just 15 miles from my house in Edwardsburg called Dr TK Lawless park. For some strange reason whenever I refer to this park it conjurs up images of Dan Ackroyd in his Dr. Detroit role.

It turns out Dr Lawless was an amazing man and donated many tracts of land for use as parks in Southwest Michigan. While home for the weekend I chose to do this Time Trial although it's not part of any series I'm involved with it but still 100 times better than mowing the lawn. Since the Experts start early I decided to ride the 50+ Expert on my singlespeed rather than wait until the Singlespeed class at 1230. The trail was in great shape and it was sunny and humid at the start. I went with a 32x16x29'er and the gearing was perfect for this course. The trail resembles Lakeshore and Maybury with lots of tight turns and a few steep climbs. The course length was 14 miles. For some reason the "day-of" riders started before the pre-registered riders and I knew there was a swarm of fast riders behind me as we started in 30 sec. intervals. I was reeled in by fellow 50+ rider, Calvin Stewart at the 10 mile mark and pushed pretty hard to stay with him after he made his pass. I stuck with him but he had started a good minute behind me and he ended up finishing first and I ended up in third with a time of 1:05:xx. That's a stand-in on the top spot.

As soon as we finished a storm blew through and dumped on the Sport riders.

I was glad I rode early, got 'er done, and made it home in time for lunch. TK Lawless is a great out-of-the-way trail located in Southwest Michigan.

No comments: