Friday, April 27, 2012

Yankee Springs Time Trial report

I am a little late on this report but I have had a week to relive this race in my head. As always, the event was well run and the herds of riders were processed with efficiency throughout. This Time Trial has established itself as a staple on the Michigan mountain bike race calendar and it officially kicks off the mountain bike season here in Michigan.
The weather was cool and clear with high winds. It was a good thing we were sheltered in the woods. As usual, I warmed up a little but looking back I realize how hard it is for me to go all out from a cool state. I do so much better when I am thoroughly warmed up. Note to self. Bring trainer.
I had not ridden Yankee in several years and I forgot how fun and challenging the trail can be. The trail was in great shape from the recent rain. Riders from each class started off in 10 second intervals and I was off for 2 laps.
I quickly realized my ride was becoming a see-saw battle. One minute I was feeling good and passing riders and the next moment I was being passing like I was standing still. I was having difficulty getting into a rhythm. This went on for 22 miles and during this time I couldn't stop thinking of all the variables which may have contributed to my performance or lack thereof. Essentially, I had a laundry list of excuses that were rolling around in my head. You know the scenarios. Was it over-training or a lack of rest? Was it poor tapering or nutrition? Or was it simply too much air in my tires AND the sun was in my eyes? C'est la vie.
I finished up and quickly swapped out the geared hardtail for the rigid singlespeed and headed back over to the start area for another lap. I had a nagging feeling that this was not going to be a stellar lap and I soon found myself experiencing the same lack of pop that I felt earlier. My legs felt like lead. I told myself to suck it up and enjoy the ride. Regardless of all my BS, the Yankee Springs trail is one of the best trails in lower Michigan and offers a great mix of challenging terrain. The downhill swooping S section was REEDONKULOUS!
Thankfully, I arrived at the finish in one piece and for the first time in hours I was able to relax. The PBR tasted great!
The team support was great and the taco bar was top notch. I'll be back next year and hopefully, I will have a better plan. In the meantime, hats off to the WMMBA chapter for hosting a great event. Well done.

No comments: