Tuesday, February 9, 2010

today's ride...


Marvelous! The sun was shining and it was clear and cold. I took the bike off the trainer and headed out for a two hour ride before work. I have determined that two hours is my minimum ride time threshold. I am aware that great workouts can be done in less time but given the amount of time to suit up I might as well be preparing for a space walk. Once I made it out the door it felt great to be in the fresh air although I still have to admit it, winter riding as a whole is a giant pain in the ass. The upside of winter riding is the effort it takes cannot be simulated indoors (in my opinion) and the two hour training ride is plenty satisfying. I made it out to the small hamlet of Whitmore Lake and took this shot:



I continued past the feed store:



I gawked at Saint Patricks steeple:



I got in 36 miles of rolling hills and I felt good about the effort. Now we are bracing for another round of winter and I'll have to put the bike back on the trainer. The trainer has worked out fine. It is a consistent workout although I have yet to make it beyond 90 minutes. Regardless of what I do to entertain or hypnotize myself it's just too freakin' boring. I have done a good job of maintaining a steady level of fitness over the off-season with a mix of spinning, training rides, weight work and core exercises. In years past the off-season meant nothing more than months of acting like a 3 toed sloth. Sigh...

No comments: