Wednesday, May 28, 2008

My Cycling Vacation

I have just returned from an incredible road trip out West to visit family and ride as much as possible. It was just me, my Kona FS, CX200 and 2 weeks off of work. Arkansas and New Mexico are not considered "cycling meccas" but it was apparent that there were plenty of places to ride great terrain. I left the day following the Woodland Lanes Fundraiser and stopped at my house in Edwardsburg, MI to spend a few days with the family.

Then it was off to Fayetteville, Arkansas to visit my mom. I had just missed the Joe Martin Stage Race which looks like a pretty cool event for the area. Maybe next year. The roads in the area are unsafe for road riding so to make my mom happy I rode off-road. My first day was at Lake Leatherwood near Eureka Springs. The rock formations and trails were technical and a blast to ride. Trail review.
Beacham Trail

Miners Rock


Sink Hole next to the trail (or it could be considered a skylight if you were at the bottom looking up).

More rock formations. Some of the local huckers have discovered that certain stone outcrops make great launch pads.


Lake Leatherwood dam


The following day was spent at Hobbs State Park in Rogers, ARK. The trail system consists of Stacked Loops. These are various trails which connect and can be rode in any direction through 2nd growth forest. Less technical, flowing singletrack and very fun to ride.
My last day was spent trying to ride Devils Den State Park, home of the Arkansas State Mountain Bike Championships. Due to the heavy rains a portion of the primo Fossil Flats trail was washed out and off limits. I broke out the road bike bike and found some long steep hills to ride on. The best part was a stretch of highway climbing out of a Lee River valley with ten 180 degree switchbacks. It wasn't the Alps but it was amazingly scary fast coming back down!
Lee River

After a few more days in Arkansas it was off to Ruidoso, New Mexico to visit my brother and sister-in-law. The fire danger was EXTREME and all the State forests were closed so I headed out on some of the most excellent New Mexico roads. High desert plains with long climbs and descents, altitude, wind, zero traffic (or humans) and an occassional cattle grate to bunny hop. All just a stone's throw from Roswell.
The road to Capitan, NM.

Even the roadside cows are at risk.

My bro and I tangling with the local wildlife.

Portales, New Mexico loves their Greyhounds. Everywhere I looked the Greyhound was King!


The next and final stop was to head North and visit my other brother in Durango and ride the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. Due to a scheduling conflict (my bad) I made the decision to bag the race and head home to attend my son's HS graduation. It was a good call as it turns out the powers that be decided to dump a foot of snow on Silverton and the road race was cancelled. I was sooooo close to finally doing this incredible ride from Durango to Silverton. Again, maybe next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent Cycling Vacation recap. Drove Angus Hill the other day, couldn't get the car to 52 around the curves. Extreme Cycling!

Unknown said...

If I could start my day, every day, with a 52 mph descent over a 2 mile stretch of highway with an 8% grade I would have a permanent smile on my face!