Wednesday, June 23, 2010

2010 Lumberjack 100 recap


In retrospect and comparison, this years Lumberjack 100 was everything that the Mohican 100 wasn't and more. I know, it's apples and oranges and yadda-yadda. In a nutshell, this years Lumberjack was a success for almost all of those involved. The weather (mid-70's) was a winner. The trail was amazing and the new 33 mile lap made it possible for more competitors to finish. Regardless, the ride was still a motha' and anything from easy.
Our team camped nearby at the group campground and it was nice to spend time with new and old friends.


The day was perfect. I made it over to the start area and set up my tent compound. The start was fun and I went into the race with a more relaxed attitude than usual and enjoyed the ride. My left leg has been bothering me so I wanted to stay hydrated and avoid any cramping issues as the day wore on. Lap one was a blast. the trail was tacky and smooth. Not a rock to be found anywhere. Upon completing lap 1 I saw the clock showing 3 hrs. Cool. My hopes of finishing under 10 hours was a possibility. Lap 2 went pretty much like lap 1 although it was getting harder although I was still at the 6 hour mark after 2 laps. Cool. I just had to get the last lap in under 4 hours to make it under 10 hours. I was having left foot swelling and my big toe was in incredible pain. I had been removing my shoe at the aid station and pit area on every lap in an effort to minimize the swelling. On lap 3 I had to stop several times along the trail to take off the shoe and rub the foot to get the blood flowing out of the foot. Pain in the ASS! I kept leap-frogging riders who would catch me while I was messing around with my foot. Frustrating. I eventually finished the lap and ended up at 9:30:xx. Success. Still, it felt good to ride a fun trail and make it to the end. The team represented today and we had many riders out there. Go GREYHOUNDS!!

A huge thank you to Rick Plite, his crew and the volunteers for making this event a huge success!

RESULTS:

No comments: